Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Finally Pregnant!

I figured I would open my blog back up. However, I am keeping it private until we decide it's time to share our news. We just found out on Friday, May 21 that we are finally pregnant. I realize I shouldn't say "finally" because it didn't really take that long. But when you have been ready for over a year, and are once again together after a year long deployment, it feels like "forever" if it doesn't happen right away. It really only took us 4 months. Actually less. But anyway, here's the story:

So after the previous month of being stressed because it wasn't happening, I had decided, maybe it wasn't the right time. We are moving to San Antonio in August, where Blake will do further medical training for his Army job. I figured it may not be the best time, because we will have lots of changes with the move. We'll be leaving the place we've known since July 2008, leaving some really great friends, moving to a new city (Blake has lived there before, though), and starting another "new" life. So instead of being so stressed this month, I tried to calm down and realized, stressing out, wasn't the best for baby planning anyway. So, after I relaxed, I suppose it happened. I can't leave out the prayers and cries I sent to God.

So last week, I was having some symptoms that are early signs of pregnancy. This may be a littler personal, but I had really sore breasts, a little bit of nausea, but not too much, I was a little tired, a little more frequent urination, some mood swings, and my basal temperature was up for more than 10 days (which they say is sometimes enough to test). I had decided I would wait until the end of the month (til I missed a period) to test because I probably wouldn't get a correct result, thinking I didn't have enough of the hormone to result in a positive home pregnancy test yet. However, the week was taking WAY TOO long, and Friday afternoon, I had decided to just do it. Blake was home that day, and I didn't tell him I was going to do it. He thought I was going to wait as well. This would have put me at 3 weeks and 3 days. Really early, yes. But I couldn't help myself.

As I laid on the bed, playing on my iPod, trying to pass the time for 3 minutes, my heart started racing like crazy. I told myself that if it wasn't positive, not to worry, and to remember, I was taking it pretty early. If it came out negative, I would take another at the end of the month if I hadn't gotten my period.

Three minutes barely passed, and I went in to check the test. To my surprise, I saw two vertical pink lines, exactly the same shade. One was not more faint than the other. Really? I figured one would be really faint or not quite there. But nope, it was dark, just like the reference line. WOW! I didn't believe it. I didn't believe it all day long. I decided to go into Blake's office and held it behind my back, keep in mind he didn't know I was taking a test. I said, "Hey, baby. Do you want me to show you something?" With him being a man, you can imagine the things he probably thought I could show him, besides the positive pregnancy test. He said, "Sure." So I pulled it out from behind my back, held it in front of him, with trembling hands. He studied it for a while, looking at the key on the test to figure out what he was reading. He looked back up at me and said, "Oh no..." but with a happiness behind his voice. I couldn't figure out what to say, so I just said, "Oh no? You don't like that?" Needless to say, he did, and he chased me out of the office and we hugged and finally realized our dream was coming true. We were going to be parents. They would call that, being your fourth week of pregnancy. I was barely four weeks, and a little worried that it wasn't true.

That night we hung out with friends. We had decided, before, that we weren't going to tell anyone until the first trimester was over. All either of us thought about that night was our new, special news. I decided I was going to go buy two more, different kinds of pregnancy tests and take them. I thought I had found out a little too early and was very scared. I bought a digital one and one that comes up as a plus sign for positive. I took the digital one the next afternoon. It said it takes 3 minutes to come up with any kind of result. It came up in just over one minute. The next day, Sunday, I took a plus sign test. All three were positive. I have finally stopped being so nervous about something happening and am starting to feel really excited.

I made an appointment to go to the doctor's office to get an official test for this Thursday. I guess I will find out my next step then. For now, it's time to change my diet. In a couple weeks, it's going to be essential that I have more fruits and veggies. I've been taking prenatal vitamins for over four months, thanks to my mother-in-law.

Over the Fourth of July weekend, we plan to go home. If we have heard the heartbeat by that time and the doctor tells us everything is ok, we plan to tell our families. I'm not sure when we plan to tell friends. Maybe right after... maybe when we finally hit the second trimester. I'm not sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see how everything goes. We keep thinking how excited both our families are going to be. It's a great experience, though I haven't experienced the morning sickness yet. Once that hits, it may be a different story.

Oh and those who are wondering (when this is finally posted to the public), I believe our due date will be February 1, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment