Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Autumn's Birth Story (LONG)

(Not for the squeemish)

Ok, here goes...

So, I always thought she was going to be a "late" baby. Well, here's how everything kinda got started, I guess. Thursday, Jan. 13, I woke up to go to the bathroom in the morning and wiped away a little bloody discharge. First time I had blood in the pregnancy. It wasn't much and was gone with that one trip to the bathroom, not thick or anything. I thought it COULD be my mucus plug, but it didn't seem to be thick enough (from what people talked about). So, I let it be, just thinking it was going to come soon. The next day, my birthday, I woke up and had the same thing happen. Blake was off work for the 4 day weekend, so I called the labor and delivery unit and told them what I saw and they said to come in so they could check me out. They said I had definitely lost my mucus plug and that it could be hours or weeks away from go time. The doctor checked to see if I was dialated and effaced any. I was 1 cm and 25% effaced. Not much, but progress. He also said I was have regular interval contractions about every 2-3 minutes. But they were the painless, Braxton Hicks ones. They didn't hurt at all. So, we went home. I decided that in the weekend I was going to cook lots of meals and freeze them for after the baby came. I went to the grocery store and got all my ingredients and a few other things. I ended up needing to walk all 4 corners of the store. So I guess I got a lot of walking in. I came home, unpacked the groceries that were cold and left the rest to do later. I laid down for a nap, didn't sleep much. I woke up around 5:30 or 6 having a little painful contractions and they were every 5 minutes, on the dot. Then I got up and walked to the living room and tried to rest, I drank some water, did all the things people would say to do to try to see if the contractions would subside. Nothing worked, but they weren't coming every 5 minutes anymore. They were anywhere from 4-15 minutes apart. Not necessarily getting stronger or closer. Just random. I took tylenol, cooked Blake some dinner and tried to go to bed. I tried going to bed around 11 or something... so I was trying to deal with it for awhile before actually laying down to sleep. While sleeping, or "resting" I had strong contractions. I couldn't sleep with them, like I figured. I got up a few times to use the restroom, normal. Then around 2:45 or 3, I was getting fed up. I figured, I need to go to the restroom again. I was about to get up and felt this weird gas feeling pop, but figured it wasn't my water. Everyone says their water doesn't break at home, it is at the hospital, so I didn't think it would be that. I just figured it was a gas bubble in my tummy somewhere. I got up and started walking to the restroom. Then I felt this gush of fluid, NOT from where urine comes from. I tried to get to the toilet faster. As I was about to sit down, it all came out, just barely making it to the toilet in time. (Lucky me, right?) I looked down and there was the rest of the plug in the toilet. My heart started racing. I was scared, excited, worried, confused, everything you could have imagined. Mind you, I still thought this baby planned to be late. I cleaned up, woke up Blake and told him I thought my water just broke. He said, call the hospital and see if they want you to come in. He didn't believe it was my water cuz I wasn't sure it was either hearing how people said it doesn't usually happen at home. It was about 3 am and they said to come in. Took us awhile to finish packing the rest of our stuff because I figured we had a little more time. Most everything was ready though. We started driving to the hospital and I was having VERY painful contractions every 4 minutes, Blake timed them as he watched me suffering. We got to the hospital around 4 or 4:30, maybe? I don't really remember. It was all a blur. I got to the triage room, they checked me and said my water definitely broke and as they pulled out, here came another gush. Crap! I was so scared. AND I was in a ton of pain. Paperwork started and the doctor said that contractions are much more painful when your water breaks cuz all that padding is gone. Um, YES! So they got me over to a delivery room, waited a little to check for my dialation, but when they did, I was a 4 and could get an epidural. The got the anesthesiologist, he came in, worked on my back for a little while (I have slight scoliosis) so he couldn't get it in in the right spot. He had to go higher. He gave me the "test" medicine to see if anything happened with my blood pressure. It didn't, so he went ahead and started the flow. As soon as I know it, I'm about to pass out. I guess my blood pressure dropped to 72/25 and the baby's heartrate dropped a ton. They had to keep switching me on my sides, back and forth to try to help and find the baby's heartrate. Couldn't find it externally. By this time, my room was filled with tons of people trying to get things fixed. A doctor came in and didn't warn me but shoved her fingers up there, trying to get this screw thing on the baby's head to get a heartrate (she was fine) and said I was dialated to a 6 already. Then said she it was a 5, but she could stretch it to a 6. Things finally started looking ok after they had me on my left side for a little bit. But my whole left side was numb and warm. It was so weird and freaky feeling. I didn't like Blake touching my left leg at all. So then an hour goes by, maybe. They check me again and I am a 7 or 8. They told me 8, I think. Not much longer and it would be time. About another hour or so goes by and I feel the urge to push. The epidural didn't seem like it was working AT ALL, but maybe I don't know cuz I HAD it instead of not having it. I don't know the difference. But I felt EVERYTHING it seemed like. I felt her moving down, I felt her head moving around, everything. The doctor checked me to see if I was dialated enough to start pushing. I was "complete, complete and 0." So I guess, completely dialated, completely effaced and at a 0 station. Next step was her coming out of the pelvis. Holy crap, I dialated QUICK and completely on my own. No pitocin or anything. I started pushing around noon. It felt like the contractions were only a minute or two apart, but I guess they were 5, just very long. Around 1 or so, I'm guessing, they started pitocin to get them closer together. They could see the top of her head and wanted me to stop relaxing so I didn't let her go back up. Every contraction, I pushed 3 times. Then around 1:45, I guess her head was out by this time, I just had to get her shoulders out. This was the last contraction they wanted me to have to use. After the 3 pushes, she still wasn't out, so I had to keep going about 5 more times. I was so tired and in SOOOOO much pain. Finally at (this is where I'm getting emotional, typing), at 1:49 pm, our little angel came into this world.Blake said she was blue for a quick second. He cut the umbilical cord and they took her to the corner to give her oxygen. They were going to put her on my chest, but I guess she needed help with some oxygen and getting stuff out of her lungs. But before they took her away and I saw her, I was so amazed. This little girl was the one inside me all this time and I could finally see her. I couldn't believe it. What an amazing, precious little gift God had given to us. They asked Blake to come over and cut the rest of the umbilical cord while they delivered the placenta. Then came time to fix me up. Blake got to hold her while I watched and cried in agony over getting the stitches. Epidural--- KICK IN, please! I tried to focus on Blake in the chair holding his princess, but every poke hurt. It took a while to get repaired but after it was over, I was so happy. I couldn't believe I just gave birth. I gave birth to a healthy little girl. Autumn Belle Wooderson was born at 1:49:17 pm, weighing 6 lbs. 5 oz. and 19.25 inches long. She is the most beautiful little baby I have ever laid my eyes on. She's just perfect. And all that heartburn, MAN SHE HAS GOT SOME HAIR! It's an ashy dark brown color, and beautiful. I hope it stays the same color, but who knows.

My parents had planned on being there for the birth but since the whole thing moved so quickly, they couldn't make it in time. They got there around 7 pm when we switched rooms. I was so glad they were able to come. Blake's parents came too, but didn't get in til after visiting hours. They came the next day. The whole time we were in the hospital, Blake got to change her diapers, hold her a ton, look so precious and he took care of me so well. He also was a very curious father, asking every question to the nurses and doctors that you couldn't even think of asking. I guess being in the medical field himself, he was interested in EVERYTHING. I recovered pretty quickly and within a day, we could have gone home, but I felt more comfortable to stay a little longer. We waited until Monday to leave.

Now Autumn is here and I am so happy and proud. I am proud of myself for growing such a beautiful, healthy little baby and proud of myself for pushing her out into this world. I am such a baby when it comes to pain, but I got through it with Blake's help and the help of a wonderful hospital staff. Plus, the reward. I am proud of my little girl for everything she went through and thankful that she is so healthy and sweet. I am proud of Blake for helping me throughout the whole pregnancy and especially the birth. He was amazing. Still is. I am so much more in love with him than I ever thought I could be. I thought I loved him as much as possible, but nope. And he is the greatest Dad. He's so patient with me, asking for so much help. We make a great team.

Today he had to go back to work and Autumn and I are home alone. She's doing great, I'm feeling fine, although, yes, I could use some sleep. My Mom and Dad are in town for the week. They are out getting things to help us out, they're so much help to have around the house, although I'm trying to do everything I can so I can prove to myself that I'll be ok when I don't have help. So far, so good. Autumn sleeps very well, especially with a full tummy. We had a little fit earlier but she just wanted changed and warmed up. I talked to her and she calmed down.

Tomorrow is her first trip to the doctor. My Mom is so helpful. She's going with me. She can help me remember to tell Blake about everything.

So, that's the story and I'm sticking to it. Oh, by the way, she was 17 days early. 37 weeks and 4 days (according to her due date). But she is healthy, and that's all that matters. I am happy. We 3 make a happy family.

No comments:

Post a Comment